If you are a small business owner, you may have noticed the overflow of information that has dramatically increased over the last few years. We now have to check Email, texts, phone, and a multitude of social media sites just to stay connected each day!
Many owners have simply been overwhelmed and have not jumped into the media frenzy. I can appreciate that. Just this summer, we personally took a hiatus on regular Email newsletters and postings while we were traveling and focused on other projects. Yet, becoming unengaged is not the answer either. Balance is key and understand why/how digital marketing is effective for your business is critical.
Here are 3 ways to grow your business through digital marketing. Take a few suggestions, but also make sure they are liveable.
1. Know Thy Customer: Research
Before starting any type of marketing strategy, it is critical to know your business, know your industry, and know your customer. First of all, Define Your Business Goals:
- What are the key performance indicators you want to measure
- What are your revenue goals?
- What does growing your business mean to you? (Amount of leads coming in, revenue generated, customers acquired, number of retainers, etc.)
Secondly, know your industry. Ask yourself:
- What are your competitors doing in regards to content on their website?
- What current events and news are going on?
- Are you engaged with your community and industry groups?
Lastly, know your customer.
- What 5 questions do you answer the most?
- What are the biggest pain points for customers when they come to you?
- What are your customer demographics?
- What messaging do they respond to most?
2. Search Engine Optimization:
If you site is not found, then you won’t get much traffic. In order to get found for the keywords you’re your customers are searching for (which is everything under “Know your customer” above), it’s important to optimize every page that is created on your website. When it comes to SEO don’t forget to:
Include keywords within the page content, in elements such as:
- Page text
Include keywords within the page properties, such as:
- Meta description
Include keywords when uploading and inserting your images by:
- Putting keyword(s) in the name of the image (example: inbound-marketing-tips)
- Using an alt tag with the keyword in it
Link keywords in your content to other pages on your website.
This helps distribute SEO authority across your domain. To do this, simply hyperlink a keyword on one page to the appropriate URL of another page on your site, such as:
- Other website pages
- Blog posts
- Landing pages
Posting blogs is how you bring in organic traffic to your website and is a highly recommended tactic if you want to grow your website traffic. Here are some key tips:
Publish the right content
Write content around the questions, issues, and challenges your potential customers want the answers to. This will help your potential customers not only find valuable information, but also help introduce them to your brand.
Publish content consistently
This depends on time and budget. If you’re outsourcing blog writing then you can blog numerous times a week, if you have one in-house person responsible for blogging maybe you can only do it once or twice. Just make sure it’s consistent!
Determine the right angle
Your competitors are probably already blogging so take some tips from what they’re strategy looks like. If they have a niche in the industry that they blog about a lot then maybe find your business’ niche and blog on what you know best in order to stand out.
Use a calls-to-action (CTA)
Placing a CTA at the end of your blog urging visitors to download premium content will definitely help grow your leads and sales!